The Lewis & Clark campus grew and evolved thanks to the gifts of many individuals.
Fir Acres Estate, Core of the Undergraduate Campus
In 1942, the Lloyd Frank family offered the Fir Acres estate to Lewis & Clark College on generous terms. Frank Manor House, a 35-room, Tudor-style mansion designed by architect Herman Brookman and built in 1924–25, was the centerpiece of the 63-acre estate, which also included a cottage-style gatehouse, a conservatory, and a rose garden. Today Frank Manor House serves as the administrative core of Lewis & Clark. It houses the offices of the president, vice presidents, and provost; the College of Arts and Sciences Admissions; and the Business Office. The main lounge, named for Thomas and Katherine Moore Armstrong, was refurbished in 1991. The terrace on the east side of the building was named for Edna L. Holmes, one of the home’s original occupants and a Lewis & Clark trustee for more than three decades.
The Alumni Gatehouse, dedicated to Morgan S. Odell, is a stone and brick building that was part of the original Frank estate. It stands at the main entrance to the campus. Originally the home of the estate’s head gardener, it has since served Lewis & Clark as the president’s home, a residence hall, and administrative offices. It currently houses the Office of Alumni and Parent Programs and the Albany Society. The Estate Gardens include four terraces sloping down from the manor house to the rose garden and overlooking Mount Hood to the east.
Designed by Brookman as service buildings for the estate, the Albany Quadrangle is distinguished by its dovecote, which is topped by an ornate weather vane. The building, named for Lewis & Clark’s origins as Albany College, was extensively renovated and expanded in 2002. It houses the Office of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, the College Advising Center, Academic English Studies, Overseas and Off-Campus Programs, Student Support Services, and the Dovecote Café. Albany Quadrangle was also the site of events commemorating the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark Expedition from 2003 to 2006.
The Dressing Pavilion, also known as the Bathhouse, is in the eastern recreational area, or lower campus. It has dressing rooms for men and women and faces the outdoor Lawrence Memorial Swimming Pool, named in honor of F.D. Lawrence in recognition of gifts by his wife and daughters.
Evans Music Center was built with funds from Herbert Templeton and named at his suggestion for John Stark Evans, director of music at Lewis & Clark from 1944 to 1957. Rae Seitz Lounge and Browsing Room was named in honor of the Portland musician and composer. Glenn and Cora Townsend Foyer was named in recognition of the generosity of that couple. C.C. Bechtold Studio was given in tribute to the founder of the National Hospital Association. Anna B. Swindells Classroom was donated by William Swindells Sr. in honor of his mother. Maud Bohlman Practice Studio was named for a Portland voice teacher who was a member of the Lewis & Clark music faculty. Margaret N. Steinmetz Studio, used for small ensemble work, was named in memory of Margaret Steinmetz, a member of the music faculty until her death in 1955. Christopher James Roberts Studio, which houses a Baldwin grand piano donated by Mr. James, was named in recognition of his generosity and support.
The Biology-Psychology building, designed by Paul Thiry, opened in 1972. Classrooms, faculty offices, and laboratories occupy the three levels.
Opened in 1946, BoDine was named in memory of Dr. Charles BoDine, a Portland physician, and his wife, Elizabeth BoDine, a Lewis & Clark trustee. BoDine houses faculty research labs and the Department of Mathematical Sciences.
Fir Acres Theatre, made possible by the generosity of 465 individuals, foundations, and corporations, opened its first production in 1977. Performance space includes two separate areas. The Main Stage offers seating for 225 people. The Black Box studio-theatre allows seating to be arranged for each performance, and is also used as a classroom and dance studio.
Olin Center for Physics and Chemistry was completed in 1979 with funds from the F.W. Olin Foundation. The spacious facilities hold well-equipped biochemistry, computer science, advanced physics, advanced chemistry, seismic, and instrumentation laboratory rooms. Research space is available for faculty and students, including equipment for microscopy; synthetic inorganic, organic, and bioorganic chemistry; and solid-state physics. The observatory, capped with a research-grade telescope acquired in 2004, was named for James H. Karle ’51, professor emeritus of physics. A research greenhouse is also located outside of Olin.
In 1996 Lewis & Clark opened a cluster of academic buildings designed by Thomas Hacker and Associates. James F. Miller Center for the Humanities, Fred W. Fields Center for the Visual Arts, and the south wing of Aubrey R. Watzek Library (see below) surround the Alumni Circle, which was designed to echo the cobblestone circle to the south across the Estate Gardens. The circle’s name honors Lewis & Clark’s alumni, especially the donors whose names are inscribed on steps and on a plaque at the edge of the circle.
Fields Center, home to the Department of Art, was named for trustee Fred W. Fields. Support for the photography studio came from Julia M. Robertson BA ’94 and the Eastman Kodak Company. Faculty office space was made possible in part by Julia Robertson’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. William S. Robertson. Former trustees Wood Arnold and Anne Arnold, parents of an alumnus who majored in art, provided support for the student art gallery. The graphic arts laboratory was named for the E.L. Wiegand Foundation; additional support for the computer graphics program came from Hans and Mary Jane Wurster, parents of a 1995 graduate in art. The painting studio was named for Patti Babler and trustee Lloyd Babler ’57, parents of an alumna, and a lecture room was named for the Collins Foundation. The drawing porch overlooking the Estate Gardens from the east end of the building was named for the late Samuel C. Wheeler, a trustee.
Miller Center provides 13 classrooms and houses the Departments of English, World Languages and Literatures, and History. James F. Miller, investment advisor and philanthropist for whom the building was named, was a trustee of Lewis & Clark. Auditoriums on the ground floor were named for Keith E. Lindner BS ’81 and trustee Mary Bishop and Broughton Bishop, parents of an alumnus. The Interactive Learning Center on the second floor was dedicated to the W.M. Keck Foundation. Classrooms were named for William K. Blount, trustee; the Collins Foundation; the late W. Burns Hoffman, trustee; former trustee Wan Koo Huh, parent of a Lewis & Clark alumna; trustee Charles J. Swindells BS ’66; trustee Bruce Willison and Gretchen Willison; and the late John Harrington, professor of philosophy from 1946 to 1975.
John R. Howard Hall, named for Lewis & Clark’s second president on Palatine Hill and a steward of the social sciences, was dedicated in 2005. The building brings under one roof the instructional and office spaces of nearly all of the College of Arts and Sciences' social science disciplines: communication, economics, environmental studies, gender studies, international affairs, philosophy, religious studies, political economy, political science, and sociology and anthropology. J.R. Howard Hall also houses the John E. and Susan S. Bates Center for Entrepreneurship and Leadership, the Symbolic and Quantitative Resource Center (SQRC), and the Copy Center. Designed by Thomas Hacker and Associates, the building set a new standard for energy efficiency and adaptability in Lewis & Clark’s use of sustainable architectural materials to minimize the building’s ecological impact. A conference room was dedicated in memory of James F. Miller, and classrooms were dedicated to the Meyer Memorial Trust; the Ben B. Cheney Foundation; Arthur Throckmorton, associate professor of history from 1950 to 1962; Donald G. Balmer, U.G. Dubach Professor Emeritus of Political Science, with gratitude to Christopher E. Jay ’72 and M. Beth Miller ’73, trustees; Benjamin A. Thaxter, professor of English and biology from 1939 to 1952; and T.J. Edmonds, professor of business administration from 1947 to 1960.
Named for the Portland lumber executive and philanthropist, Aubrey R. Watzek Library opened in 1967. A renovation in 1994–95 more than doubled the library's size. Renovation architect Thomas Hacker retained important elements of Paul Thiry’s original design, highlighting the library’s strategic location on campus with window expanses overlooking surrounding trees. The new design also enhanced the library’s central educational role with space that welcomes students and faculty and provides for the library’s collections, equipment, and study areas.
The central space of Watzek Library is the Monroe A. Jubitz Atrium, named for a Lewis & Clark benefactor, longtime trustee, and life trustee. The large reading room in the south wing was named for James E. Bryson and Jane Templeton Bryson, trustee. Also in the south wing, two large halls were named to honor foundation donations: the lower level for the M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust, and the upper level for the Meyer Memorial Trust.
Additional spaces in the library include the Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr. Society of Fellows Room; the Ann J. Swindells Seminar Room, named for the trustee; the Claude and Louise Rosenberg Director’s Office Suite, named for the parents of an alumnus; and the Christopher E. Jay ’72 New Book Lounge. An Information Technology classroom was named for Laurence Whittemore, parent of an alumna.
The Lewis and Clark Heritage Room at the center of the library houses special collections. Furnishings in the Heritage Room were the gift of the late Eldon G. Chuinard, who also donated his extensive collection of materials on the Lewis and Clark Expedition. With the addition in recent years of other significant collections on Lewis and Clark, the institution now holds the finest known collection of printed materials on the Expedition. Also in the Heritage Room is the William Stafford collection, which includes the published works of the noted late Lewis & Clark professor of English and poet laureate of Oregon. The William Stafford Room on the upper floor contains memorabilia and writings of Stafford and is one of the many rooms designated for study in the library.
Watzek Library has more than 500 spaces for student study and an open computer laboratory. Study rooms were named for the Ben B. Cheney Foundation; the Autzen Foundation; the Rose E. Tucker Charitable Trust; the late Elizabeth “Becky” Johnson, trustee; life trustee Robert H. McCall and Carol McCall, parents of an alumna; and Donald Leonard, a friend of Lewis & Clark. Scores of library carrels and study tables carry the names of parent donors.
The Office of Information Technology (including the IT Service Desk) and the Writing Center are located in the library, and the Ronna and Eric Hoffman Gallery of Contemporary Art occupies the ground floor of the south wing addition. The gallery is named for trustee Ronna Hoffman and her husband, Eric Hoffman.
Chapel and Pavilion
Agnes Flanagan Chapel, designed by Paul Thiry, was dedicated in 1969. George and Agnes Flanagan donated approximately half of the total cost of the 16-sided structure. They also initiated the fund that would bring an 85-rank Casavant organ to the chapel. With seating for 600 people, the chapel serves as a meeting place for lectures, musical performances, and religious services. It also houses the Office of the Dean of Religious and Spiritual Life and the Ombuds Office. The Wallace Howe Lee Memorial Bridge, the broad walkway into the main entrance, was named for the former president and lifelong friend of Albany College. The statues that flank the bridge, depicting the gospel writers Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John through Northwest Coast Indian images, are by the late artist Chief Lelooska. In 2010 the chapel was renovated with a new wooden stage and improved lighting and sound systems.
Diane Gregg Memorial Pavilion, dedicated in 2011 and designed by Bora Architects, completed Thiry's original architectural design for the chapel. The pavilion honors Diane Gregg BA '57, wife of trustee and longtime staff member Glenn Gregg BS '55. It serves as a flexible space for meetings, performances, and events.
Pamplin Sports Center was designed by Stanton, Boles, McGuire, and Church and opened in 1969. The building is named in recognition of the Pamplin family’s service and leadership at Lewis & Clark. Robert B. Pamplin Sr. joined the Board of Trustees in 1956 and was twice elected chair. His son, Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr., earned degrees from Lewis & Clark in 1964, 1965, and 1966. Dr. Pamplin chaired the Board of Trustees from 1991 to 1996. The expansive facility includes a main gymnasium that can seat 2,300 people and has three full basketball courts, as well as a fully equipped weight room, an aerobics room, locker rooms, a theatre-style classroom, a training room, and offices.
Adjacent to Pamplin Sports Center, Griswold Stadium contains seating for 3,600 people (1,800 covered), a synthetic sports field, and a polyurethane track. Graham Griswold, trustee and chair of the Board of Trustees, donated most of the materials to construct the stadium in 1953. Lights were added in 2003 and upgraded to LED in 2014, making Griswold one of the first stadiums in the nation to use this lighting technology.
The playing surface in Griswold Stadium, Fred Wilson Field, is named in honor of the late Pioneers coach, professor, and director of athletics. It was renovated in 2010 with an innovative layered turf that enhances playing conditions. The field also has full inlaid markings for soccer and football. In 2012, new aluminum seating replaced the original wooden stairs and seats.
Eldon Fix Track was named for Lewis & Clark's track and field coach from 1946 to 1981. The track was renovated in 1991 and resurfaced in both 1999 and 2013.
Zehntbauer Swimming Pavilion holds a competition-size pool and spectator seating for 200 people. It is named for two friends of Lewis & Clark, C.R. and John Zehntbauer, founders of the company that became Jantzen.
Joe Huston Memorial Sports Complex is named in honor of Lewis & Clark’s football coach from 1947 to 1964. He was also director of athletics and taught health and physical education courses. The complex, located just behind the law campus, is the home of Lewis & Clark’s baseball and softball teams, and is equipped with dugouts, scoreboards, and batting cages.
The Pioneer sports facilities include six tennis courts—two outdoor courts and four covered by an airdome for year-round play.
The first permanent residence hall on campus, Akin Hall, was completed in 1949. Its name honors Otis and Mabel Akin for their service to Lewis & Clark.
Stewart Hall, opened in 1951, was named in memory of Cora Irvine Stewart. Stewart was a member of the first Albany College graduating class, and later the Albany faculty. She was also the daughter of one of the institution’s founders.
Built in 1957, Ruth Odell Hall was named in honor of the wife of Morgan Odell, former president of Lewis & Clark. The lower level houses the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness.
Platt Hall, completed in 1954, and C. Howard Hall, completed in 1960, were named for two men who made significant contributions to the quality of life at Lewis & Clark. Clemmer Platt served as secretary to the Board of Trustees for 28 years. Charles Howard was dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1944 to 1958 and vice president from 1958 to 1963. Stanton, Boles, McGuire, and Church designed Platt-Howard.
In 1963 Copeland Hall was dedicated to Joseph and Helen Copeland. He was a philanthropist, lumber executive, and life trustee. She was a past president of the Women’s League of Lewis & Clark.
The Forest Complex consists of five residential buildings named for Pacific Northwest trees: Alder, Juniper, Manzanita, Ponderosa, and Spruce. Juniper was completely renovated in 2014 and will serve as a model for future renovations throughout the Forest Complex. Tamarack Lounge is a central location for student gatherings.
Hartzfeld Hall was designed by Paul Thiry and named for Freeda Hartzfeld Jones, dean of women and assistant to the president from 1943 to 1968.
In 2002, Lewis & Clark completed three apartment-style residence halls—West Hall, Roberts Hall, and East Hall—for junior and senior students. The apartments were designed by SERA Architects. Roberts Hall was named in honor of Reverend Harold Roberts and Gertrude Roberts, the parents of donor Maggie Roberts Murdy. It also houses Maggie’s Café. East Hall contains a student recreation center and the Office of the Dean of Students.
Completed in 2012, 169-bed Edna L. Holmes Hall was designed by Mahlum Architects and contains a mix of single rooms, double rooms, and four-person suites. The wife of Lloyd Frank, Holmes was instrumental in the creation of the Fir Acres estate and its eventual sale to Lewis & Clark. She served as life trustee from the mid-1940s until her death in 1990.
Templeton Campus Center
Built in three stages, Templeton Campus Center opened in 1956. It was named for Herbert A. Templeton and his family, who contributed to its funding. The main student dining room, Arthur L. Fields Dining Room, was named for the 1962–63 chair of the Board of Trustees. Edward Stamm, for whom Stamm Dining Room was named, was a Lewis & Clark trustee and chair of the board. The courtyard that lights the inner rooms of Templeton was named for Thornton Munger, who was a Lewis & Clark trustee. The Thayer Room was named for Lewis Thayer, professor of chemistry from 1946 to 1973 and a former dean of faculty. The U.G. Dubach Computer Lab was named for the professor who founded the political science department. The Monteith Room honors a family that played a central role in founding Albany College in 1867. The Gray Room was named for William Henry Gray, whose daughter was a donor to Lewis & Clark for many years. The Council Chamber, added in 1963, was modeled after the Assembly Hall of the United Nations in New York.
Successive renovations of Templeton Campus Center from 1990 to 2016 brought under one roof all the major undergraduate student organizations, as well as most administrative offices directly serving students. In 2013 the Fields Dining Hall was completely refurbished and in 2015 a new addition was built to house the Career Center. Facilities include the offices of Bon Appétit Food Service, Campus Living, College Outdoors, the Dean of Diversity and Inclusion, Inclusion and Multicultural Engagement, International Students and Scholars, the Registrar, Summer Sessions, Student Activities, Student Leadership and Service, Student and Departmental Account Services, Student Financial Services, and Sustainability. Offices for student government, programming, scheduling, and media are located near each other on the main level. The Bookstore, Counseling Service, Mail Room, Trail Room (cafeteria-style dining), and Student Health Service are also located in Templeton Campus Center.
Five years after the 1965 merger of Northwestern College of Law with Lewis & Clark College, the law school’s initial three buildings, located on a site overlooking forested Tryon Creek State Park, were completed. Paul L. Boley Law Library is named for the late Oregon attorney, trustee of the Murdock Charitable Trust, and first chair of the Law School Standing Committee. The Chester E. McCarty Classrooms building is named for a 1929 graduate of the law school who was a Lewis & Clark trustee and member of the law school’s Board of Visitors and Standing Committee. The Gantenbein Building was named for Judge John Flint Gantenbein JD ’34, son of Judge Calvin Gantenbein, Northwestern College of Law’s first dean. During World War II, John Gantenbein pledged all of his personal assets to keep the school going. Gantenbein houses Law School Admissions and the Career and Professional Development Center.
William Swindells Sr. Legal Research Center, completed in 1977, was named in honor of a member of the Board of Trustees and the Law School Standing Committee. The quiet benefactor requested that his name not be included on the building itself. The structure houses a cafeteria, student lounge, faculty and administrative offices, research facilities, meeting rooms, and student services.
Wood Hall, dedicated in 2002, was named for the late Louise Wood and Erskine Wood Sr., a noted admiralty lawyer. The building houses the environmental and business law programs as well as faculty and staff offices, classrooms, student organization offices, a computer lab, a reading room, and a rare books room.
In 2000, Lewis & Clark added to its holdings 18 acres located immediately to the south of the Undergraduate Campus. The former Hamilton F. Corbett estate had been owned and used as a novitiate and then a retreat center by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia since 1943—one year after Lewis & Clark moved to the Fir Acres estate.
The mansion on the Corbett estate, finished in 1929, was the first solo commission for architect Pietro Belluschi, who during the following three decades went on to design and inspire some of this nation’s most impressive and stately buildings. The Olmsted brothers, sons of the architect who laid out Central Park in New York City, designed the gardens. The Franciscans later added other buildings and facilities to accommodate the needs of their novitiate. In 2012, Lewis & Clark transformed the Corbett garage into a state-of-the-art classroom, the Corbett Annex.
Rogers Hall, completely remodeled in 2001 to accommodate graduate programs in education and counseling, was named for Mary Stuart Rogers, educator and philanthropist.
York Graduate Center (formerly the South Campus Conference Center) was named in honor of the Lewis and Clark Expedition member. It houses Food for Thought Café, as well as newly renovated classrooms and a computer lab.
In 2002, Sue D. Cooley, widow of Edward H. Cooley, the founder and longtime head of Precision Castparts Corporation, donated the family home for use as a presidential residence. The house was designed in an English Tudor style by architect Ellis F. Lawrence in 1920 for Cameron Squires. The Olmsted brothers designed the landscaping of the 8-acre estate, which is located in the Dunthorpe neighborhood near Lewis & Clark. In addition to serving as the president’s home, the newly renovated Cooley House provides a venue for hosting a variety of Lewis & Clark functions.